Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2005.01.13 - Heaven Gallery - Brotzmann/Londberg-Holm, Baker/Zerang + more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005.01.13 - Heaven Gallery - Brotzmann/Londberg-Holm, Baker/Zerang + more!

January 13th
    at
    the "Heaven Gallery". 1550 N. Milwaukee (2n Floor)
    773-342-4597

Starts at 7pm
    No pricing information available (perhaps donation, or free?)

Peter Brotzmann and Fred Londberg-Holm (duo)
    reeds cello

Jim Baker and Michael Zerang (duo?)
    Piano Percussion

Drinkwater/Soliday/Labcyz Trio
    ???????You never know what to expect??????????

Dragons 1976
    Percussion, bass, reed

---------------------

Heaven Gallery is located above a large furniture/antique dealer (you'll find a knight in shining armor on display). There's a canopy with the 1550 address well displayed. It's not to far west of Reckless records on the south side of Milwuakee Ave in Wicker Park. If I'm correct, the door to the upstairs is located directly west of the first floor business front.

----------------------------

Here's a review of the Dragons 1976 album, "Cortez":

"Veering away from the common trend towards free jazz, these Dragons favor crystal-clear timing and simple song structures. The flow makes it apparent that they're not interested in what's new, but rather in what they love -- pure, clean, cultured jazz with a noir edge. Not only will you feel like you're listening to a caper film score -- you become the detective in it. You sit at one end of a darkened bar, smoking a cigarette, while a dame looks up at you from the other end. She winks, and the drums kick in, with a subtle snare and high hat behind them. Tim Daisy's rolling drums, Jason Ajemian's growling bass and Aram Shelton's clear alto sax drive you through every twist and turn of the plot." - Mark Hoffman, Splendid

Tim, Jason, and Aram are all really great guys.

Expect Rob Drinkwater and J. Soliday to produce some far out sounds...far out dude.

Jim Baker likes to write notes. He also likes to play a different kind of note...many of them to be exact. Piano and maybe Arp synth. Or Arp Synth and maybe piano? Zerang is a cool guy, and he's got rhytm's he ain't even used yet.

Headliner Peter Brotzmann will rip up the reeds, Fred will make crazy, yet beautiful things happen with his electric cello.

word.

Dude! Peter Brotzmann!
    Primitive Future
    Like Rats
    Pagan Youth

Comment

robb drinkwater taught my "studio techniques" course. he's a righteous dude.
      "We must see our rituals for what they are: completely arbitrary things; tired of games and irony, it is good to be dirty and bearded, to have long hair, to look like a girl when one is a boy (and vice versa); one must put "in play", show up, transform, and reverse the systems which quietly order us about."

-M. Foucault

Comment

rob,

do you know caton? he's part of buddy gallery, which shares a space with heaven...and he was working at rodan for awhile.

Comment

Probably, or probably not. I'm terrible with names. There's a better chance that he'd know me. Not that I'm important or anything, it's just that I'm a little lost in my own head if you know what I mean.

Comment

if i didn't have a sickly huge history final the next day i'd be here.

goddamnit
            Bread Party

Comment

I'll probably be there since I didin't make it to any of the shows I wanted to go to this week: monday - FLH's Lightbox Orchestra; Tuesday - Bridge 61; Wednesday - Brotzmann Trio. I do not want to miss a fourth show in as many days.
              Originally posted by xavii

Comment

You caught the best.

Comment

Working...
                X