Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2005.01.14 - Hotti Biscotti - Dave Rempis Percussion Quartet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005.01.14 - Hotti Biscotti - Dave Rempis Percussion Quartet?

Hotti Biscotti
    3545 W. Fullerton
    Chicago

Near Depaul University, West of Racine, East of Halsted

773 772 9970
    brian@hottibiscotti.com

I'm not sure about age restrictions, so call ahead or e-mail. They're predominantly a coffee house, but they recently began serving alchohal, I'll update this as soon as I find out.

Excellent quartet featuring:

Dave Rempis - winds (Bostonian)
    Anton Hatwich - Double Bass (Rockfordian)
    Frank Rosaly - Trap Set (Arizonian)
    Tim Daisy - Trap Set (Ohioin)

Temporary Band Name : Dave Rempis Percussion Quartet.

But they also may call themselves: "Strand", "Gun's n' Daisy's", "etc."

DAVE REMPIS

Dave Rempis is a young alto and tenor saxophonist with a distinct sound and approach. His performance career began only four years ago, after completing studies in anthropology and ethnomusicology at Northwestern University and the University of Ghana, Legon. Upon graduating in 1997, he rededicated himself to live peformance and was soon offered a role replacing veteran saxophonist Mars Williams in the Vandermark Five. His work with this band has been noticed both nationally and internationally, offering him the opportunity to perform throughout the US, Canada, and Europe. His own work includes the trio Triage, featuring Tim Daisy on drums and Jason Ajemian on bass. The band has been active for 4 years, recording two cd's including their most recent release on Solitaire Records, "Premium Plastics." Rempis also works regularly in trio formats with Alec Ramsdell and Jerrry Bryerton, Jason Roebke and Jim Baker, and performs with the Territory Band, the Brian Dibblee Quartet, and the Chicago Improvisors, in addition to other ad hoc groupings. Fellow musicians with whom Rempis has shared the stage include Hamid Drake, Axel Doerner, Joe Morris, Fred Lonberg-Holm, Michael Zerang, Kevin Drumm, and Paul Lytton, among others.

TIM DAISY

Tim Daisy has been involved in the Chicago improvised music scene since 1997 and >has performed and recorded with many of the cities musicians. His current projects include Triage(with dave rempis and jason ajemian), Vandermark Five, Jason Roebke Trio(with aram shelton) Chicago Improvisers Group,and Unclocked (ernst karel,jason ajemian,aram >shelton,zoe buck).
    Other projects he has been involved with include Fred Lonberg-Holm's Lightbox Orchestra, Todd Munnik Quartet,Keefe Jackson's Project Project, Lake Effect(don smithivas,jason ajemian) and Arrive (aram shelton,jason roebke,jason adasiewicz)
    Tim has organized two improvised music festivals both at the now defunct Nervous Center and has showcased many of the cities veteran and younger musicians including Michael Zerang, Ken Vandermark,Jeb Bishop,Matt Bauder,Kent Kessler, Josh Abrams, Aram Shelton,Hamid Drake, Kyle Bruckman and Erst Karel to name a few.
    Tim has been playing drums and percussion for 14 years and has studied privately with Anthony Pinciotti,Tim Mulvenna,Hamid Drake, and Joe Varhula.

Frank Rosaly

Frank has been heavily involved in the chicago improvised music scene in 2001. Since 2002, Frank has been doing national and international touring. He has become an active member in many groups including Ken Vandermark's Crisis Ensemble, Rob Mazurek's Mandarin Movie, The Thread Quintet, Indoor/Outdoor, his own octet Kite. He is also involved in projects such as Rolldown, Wealthsource, 2nd Citizens, Flockterkit, Allos IV, Desiring Machines, Meta-Stable Zoo, the Fred Lomberg-Holm Trio, the Nick Broste Quintet, Narnia Quartet and others.

He has also been performing with some of Chicago's best musicians such as Jim Baker, Matt Lux, Kent Kessler, Dave Rempis, Tim Daisy, Guillermo Gregorio, Jeff Parker, David Boykin, Niki Mitchell, as well as New York musicians like Steve Swell, Anthony Coleman, Alan Licht and Matana Roberts. Frank was also recently on tour (Fall 2004) with the brilliant Bill Brovold in his no-wave group Larval.

Anton Hatwich

Anton is a native of Rockford, IL, but now makes his home in Chicago, after living for seven years in Iowa City, IA. While earning his Bachelor of Music degree in Double Bass Performance at the University of Iowa, Hatwich studied with master pedagogue Dr. Diana Gannett, and also spent one summer attending the annual month-long master class hosted by world-renowned bass virtuoso Gary Karr. During these years, Anton developed an interest in improvisation and the performance of new works. In the university setting, he took advantage of playing opportunities in the jazz department, as well as taking part in performances given by the university’s Composer’s Workshop and through their Center for New Music. Outside of classes, he gained valuable experience playing on the area’s diverse local music scene, eventually getting the first call from many of the area’s top musicians. This work included jazz gigs, symphony orchestras, and backing up songwriters, as well as new music performances, experimental theatre, and open form improvisation. After graduating in 1999, Anton enjoyed a fertile performance career in the Iowa City area. He moved to Chicago in 2003, and currently performs with a number of working jazz bands. Among them are: Indoor/Outdoor, Alcatraz, the Paul Hartsaw Trio, and the Kite Ensemble.

Anton has been teaching music since 1998. He worked with private students in Iowa City whose ages ranged from 10 to 60. In 2000, he was hired as Visiting Artist in Music at Cornell College in Mount Vernon, IA, where he taught bass lessons through 2002. In addition to these teaching positions, Hatwich worked as a University of Iowa All-State Band/Orchestra Camp staff member for three years, working with both the classical and jazz programs.

"I believe that some aspects of musical study are universal amongst students of all instruments. Strong fundamentals make strong musicians. Understanding the fundamentals of both music and instrumental technique is one key to becoming a great player. With the mastery and continued review of these basic elements, the student can quickly build his or her skills into whatever kind of playing style is desired. After years of study with many different types of musicians, Anton has developed an inclusive teaching style – one that speaks to the student’s specific musical agenda (classical, rock, jazz, funk, etc…) while at the same time strengthening those basic skills that all musicians have in common. When we learn what to practice and how to practice efficiently, making music becomes a lifelong source of joy and inspiration. I am devoted, through my teaching, to helping everyone attain this goal. I teach Double Bass, Electric Bass, and Guitar."

rosaly and daisy together in the vandermark crisis ensemble was awesome
    i'm sure this will be awesome too
    have you seen this group already?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

and?

Comment

Form your own opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Afrosleaziak
            3545 W. Fullerton
            Chicago

Near Depaul University, West of Racine, East of Halsted
            Not that I'm going, but this location is rediculously described.

3545 W. Fullerton is no where close to DePaul.

Also, unless you go all the way around world something cannot be east of halsted and west of racine.

thanks, try again
            Your girlfriend/boyfriend asks you if 'you wanna go? you wanna go' in a thick canadian accent. Explain your following actions in detail. I'd move around her slowly and surely, dropping my gloves and mask, reach in and pull her close, taking care to slide her sweater over her head all in one smooth motion. I'd soften her up with some blows to the head before I went to work on her midsection. I'm reckless with the way I land my hits. She'll go down first, but I'll go down longest.

Comment

Those directions were given to me by a very drunk individual.

Comment

Working...
              X