• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005.01.09 - Hungry Brain - Vandermark/Mcbride/Londberg-Holm/Rosly

Hungry Brain
    2318 W. Belmont, Chicago
    Tel: (773) 935-2118

Suggested Donation of $5 (I suggest $10 you cheap bastards)

21+ or Fake ID (just don't tell me about it)

A special set featuring:

Ken Vandermark - winds (Bostonian)
    Nate Mcbride - Double Bass (Bostonian)
    Frank Rosly - Trap Set (Arizonian)
    Fred Londberg-Holm - electrified cello (Martian)

KEN VANDERMARK

If you're from Chicago you've undoubtedly heard of Ken Vandermark.Since his arrival in the Windy City in 1989, Ken has played tenor saxophone/clarinet in some of the most influential music groups of the decade including the NRG Ensemble (Delmark 485), DKV Trio, The Vandermark 5, and the Peter Brotzmann Chicago Tenet, just to name a few. Since that time Ken has released numerous records and is currently celebrating his second release on theDelmark label with his innovative group the Sound In Action Trio, entitled Design In Time(Delmark516). The group features Tim Mulvenna on percussion and the legendary percussionist Robert Barry, best known for his work with Sun Ra's Arkestra not to mention Sonny Stitt, Von Freeman, Lin Halliday and Johnny Griffin.The Sound In Action Trio, provides a vehicle for expression unlike any other group that Ken has led. While the instrumentation gives him the harmonic freedom to stretch musically, the presence of Robert Barry adds an historical foundation to the music that can only be accomplished with a player of Barry's stature.Design In Time will undoubtedly become known as one of Ken Vandermark's greatest accomplishments to date.
    Born on September 22, 1964 in Rhode Island, Ken Vandermark was exposed to Jazz and Classical music at an early age. While growing up in Boston, Ken and his father went to nearly every jazz concert whether it be swing, be bop, or avante-garde. Ken started playing trumpet in the 4th grade, but upon hearing Joe McPhee's "Tenor" album he decided to switch to playing tenor saxophone at age 17. Ken attended McGill University in Montreal to study film, but upon graduating in 1996 he decided to pursue music full-time. Through his dedication, unyielding will, and endearing persona, Ken has succeeded in reviving the avant music scene, inspiring a younger generation to support jazz and avante music in Chicago and around the world. This year Ken's achievements were recognized on a national level when he received the prestigious MacArthur Foundation "Genius Grant".

FRED LONBERG-HOLM

Composer, improvisor and anti-cellist Fredrick Lonberg-Holm currently resides in Chicago. Defying categorization, his work deals only with the context of the specific musical situation in which he finds/places/builds for himself. A former composition student of Morton Feldman and Anthony Braxton, his ongoing projects include the groups Terminal 4, In Zenith and the Lonberg-Holm/Zerang Duo. He is also currently a member of the Guillermo Gregario Trio, the NRG Ensemble, Pillow and Witches and Devils (music of A. Ayler).He also has been coordinating and directing performances of his Light Box Orchestra, a non fixed structured improvising ensemble utilizing a light based cuing system . In addition he has performed with ensembles led by Anthony Braxton, Peter Brotzmann, Anthony Coleman, Georg Graewe, Wolfgang Fuchs, and John Zorn. As an improvisor he has recorded and or performed with Ikue Mori, Barry Guy, Ken Vandermark, Jaap Blonk, Willie Winant, Joelle Leandre, Axel Dorner, Jeff Parker, Paul Lytton, Mischa Mengelberg, Mats Gustafsson, Peter Brotzmann, Paul Lovens, Jim O'Rourke, John Butcher, and many others.
    He has also performed/recorded with the rock groups God-is-my-Co-Pilot, the Flying Luttenbachers, Bobbie Conn, Ahmed Elmotassem's Legal Fiction, US Maple, Freakwater, Lake of Dracula, Plastic Scorpions, Zeek Sheck, Smog and others. Concert works have been premiered by William Winant, Carrie Biolo, Joe Fonda and Bottoms Out, Duo Atypica, the Schanzer/Speach Duo, New Winds, Paul Hoskin, Kevin Norton, the E.S.P. Ensemble and others.
    He has performed throughout the US and Europe as both a soloist and ensemble member. His scores for dance have been performed at the Brooklyn Academy of Music and Dance Theater Workshop as well as many other venues. Film credits include music for a Playboy Channel short and the independant feature Animals, by Michael DiGiacomo. He has recorded for the Avant, Pogus, Occa, miguel, Explain:, Curious, Random Acoustics, Skin Graft, Hat Art, Buzz, Knitting Factory Works, Drag City, Ecstatic/Yod, Nine Winds, Atavistic, Rastascan, Box Media, 8th Day, Tzadik, and What Next? labels as well as many others.

No Bios for Frank and Nate, my apologies, but I'm too lazy to write my own.

Frank looks like Don Ellis when he bangs, and for the ladys, he's mega cute.
    Mcbride will rip your arms off if you don't let him win. Never mess with a wookie.

Nate ripped it the other night with Spaceways
    unreal bass player

Comment

Spaceways is lame. Will you be checking out Bridge 61 tonight?

Comment

if spaceways is lame, i don't want to be cool
        i missed out on bridge 61

Comment

This is 4 blocks from my home. I thought that place was empty to be honest.
          i love mac n cheese i cant get too mcuch cheddar

Comment

Very hidden locale. I have to go back there tonight because I bought a bunch of CD's off of Ken last Sunday and managed to leave them all there.

Honestly, Spaceways compared to what they cover? They just don't have the right polyphony going on.

Also, compared to most of the other jazz groups playing, like all the time, Spaceways is just so......I'll be nice and say lesser than anything else I've seen Hamid, Nate or Ken perform.

Sorry.

Comment

Anthony Decanini – Bass Guitar, Percussion, Alto Saxophone

Comment

sunday, hmm, maybe I'll show up. I haven't been to Hungry Brain in a long time and that bar kicks some serious ass as does that line up.
                Originally posted by xavii

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Afrosleaziak
                  Anthony Decanini – Bass Guitar, Percussion, Alto Saxophone
                  what are you getting at?

i can agree that spaceways isn't as intense/interesting as the members' other groups, but i still enjoy watching hamid and nate work in that context. honestly, what ken does in spaceways isn't very exciting to me. i think i also have a rosy view of spaceways because of that zu/the ex/ken & hamid (billed as spaceways inc but without nate?) show at the empty bottle last year.
                  Last edited by anthony; 01-07-2005, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Zu is ****ing awesome. I'm really getting at nothing. It doesn't really matter.
                    Oh, I just realized what you were asking me about, I went to your website, that's all, I like treating people like they matter.

So yeah, the Brain's been open for 8 years and they've had jazz show's for 4 years. Some of you probably knew this, I did not.

Comment

I like the hungry brain quite a bit...no idea they had shows there though. No chance in hell I will be going, but just thought I would trhow in my 2cents.
                      :jagoff:werty.net or werty.biz

Comment

While Giving, why not hurt? Throw in your 2 hundred dollar bills, and your shoes and hat too.

Comment

How was the show?
                          “Agents are just for selling bad players. The big clubs come straight to me.”

Comment

I like was toys fun garden?

Comment

Working...
                            X