X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004.07.10 Fireside Bowl

Sat. Jul. 10 - 8PM - All ages -
    PELICAN (mbrs of Tusk)
    Unhindered by the impositions of the vocal yoke, Chicago instro-sorcerers Pelican transcend the limits of time and space to expound upon the stunning finesse and painstaking subtlety with which they command their already indelible sonic signature. Restoring instrumental composition to its former glory is no insignificant task, and to do so with such remarkable authority and presence is a testament to the sheer will and unmitigated talent of Pelican’s membership. Levying cinematic melody upon glacial heaviness, they achieve the sort of inevitability usually reserved for weather systems and natural disasters.
    THRONES
    TAKING PICTURES
    Taking Pictures, a rock trio from Chicago, is an outstanding example of what musicians can do with eight years of sonic exploration under their belts as band-mates. Taking Pictures are 75% of what was the legendary Pittsburgh rock outfit Hurl. In their five year existence Hurl released a stack of vinyl and Cds on labels like My Pal God, Peas Kor, DeSoto, and Tiny Superhero (U.K.) while still involving themselves in artistic projects of all kinds, musical and otherwise.
    SEDAN

Thrones are awesome. I haven't listened to them in quite some time, but I recall their CD being bass and drum droney-slow as hell. Awesome stuff. WORD

and here i am going to the sox game that night like a sucker.

Comment

ah |ish|! |f*cking| thrones! i might have to go to this show
      Originally posted by Brody Strellin
      its time to give my Life to the Lord for his safe handlingment

http://hissnlissn.com

Comment

How come everyone cried when i posted a show and put tusk as members of pelican? It works the other way?

I DEMAND EQUALITY!!!!!!!

I WILL BE HEARD!
        bigwetbutts.com

Comment

Originally posted by !!!!!!&#@Jul 2 2004, 12:52 AM
          I WILL BE HEARD!
          whoo, yeah.

YOUR DOOM AWAITS YOU!!
          and some other things

Comment

Originally posted by !!!!!!&#@Jul 2 2004, 12:52 AM
            How come everyone cried when i posted a show and put tusk as members of pelican? It works the other way?

I DEMAND EQUALITY!!!!!!!

I WILL BE HEARD!
            UHHH... I just copied and pasted the sh.it. from MP shows dude. It's all good.

Mac - duder, the sox play all the time... the Thrones don't.

****** - totally go.

Comment

If I'm in town that weekend, I'm there.
              Little White Earbuds: Hook up your ears

Comment

Originally posted by MENDOLA@Jul 1 2004, 09:09 PM
                (1)Unhindered by the (2)impositions of the vocal (3)yoke, Chicago (4)instro-sorcerers Pelican (5)transcend the limits of time and space to (6)expound upon the stunning (7)finesse and (8)painstaking subtlety with which they command their already (9)indelible sonic signature. Restoring instrumental composition to its former glory is no insignificant task, and to do so with such remarkable authority and presence is a testament to the sheer will and (10)unmitigated talent of Pelican’s membership. (11)Levying cinematic melody upon (12)glacial heaviness, they achieve the sort of inevitability usually reserved for weather systems and natural disasters.

TAKING PICTURES
                Taking Pictures, a rock trio from Chicago, is an outstanding example of what musicians can do with eight years of sonic exploration under their belts as band-mates. Taking Pictures are 75% of what was the legendary Pittsburgh rock outfit Hurl. In their five year existence Hurl released a stack of vinyl and Cds on labels like My Pal God, Peas Kor, DeSoto, and Tiny Superhero (U.K.) while still involving themselves in artistic projects of all kinds, musical and otherwise.
                Unnecessary big word count

Pelican: 12

Taking Pictures: 0

conclusion:
                Pelican rocks

Comment

Originally posted by EzraSandzerBell@Jul 2 2004, 04:14 PM
                  (1)Unhindered by the (2)impositions of the vocal (3)yoke, Chicago (4)instro-sorcerers Pelican (5)transcend the limits of time and space to (6)expound upon the stunning (7)finesse and (8)painstaking subtlety with which they command their already (9)indelible sonic signature. Restoring instrumental composition to its former glory is no insignificant task, and to do so with such remarkable authority and presence is a testament to the sheer will and (10)unmitigated talent of Pelican’s membership. (11)Levying cinematic melody upon (12)glacial heaviness, they achieve the sort of inevitability usually reserved for weather systems and natural disasters.

Unnecessary big word count

Pelican: 12
                  For the record, I'm completely embarassed by that overblown description. Specifically, the coining of the term "instro-sorcerors" was completely uncalled for. Additionally, if anyone is aware of this supposed "former glory" that we've somehow restored "instrumental composition" to explications would be much appreciated.

Comment

Oh yeah, Pelican is playing a "secret" show this Monday at Subterranean with Dakota/Dakota, No Funeral, Chord, and Jakob. Please come out - Jakob have travelled from New Zealand for unknown reasons and rock like sunset on the beach with a six pack of ice cold Mogwai. 9pm, $5, Subterranean 2011 North Ave.

Comment

what is it with you guys and secret shows? what, you have like 3 now???

Comment

Originally posted by turdburglar666@Jul 8 2004, 12:04 PM
                        what is it with you guys and secret shows?  what, you have like 3 now???
                        We want to play with every band we like that comes through town. Most non-DIY show promoters freak out if you have anything booked three weeks to a month before or after your show with them. If we have a show in close proximity to another show we're offered, sometimes we'll do it unadvertised. We wanted to play with Jakob - we had the Thrones shows already booked and fliered, so we did the Sub-T show in secret.

In addition to this "official" line of reasoning, it is important to note that we are "secret show" fetishistic. Take that for whatever you want it to mean.

Comment

in secret means extremely late on a school and work night. starting at 1.30 in the morning = too secret for me. it was great to fall asleep standing to, but not great to enjoy like many of the other, earlier pelican shows.

Comment

is the secret show all ages?
                            holler

Comment

Originally posted by xavii@Jul 9 2004, 02:10 PM
                              in secret means extremely late on a school and work night. starting at 1.30 in the morning = too secret for me. it was great to fall asleep standing to, but not great to enjoy like many of the other, earlier pelican shows.
                              Our next secret show has an 11pm curfew. Lucky you.

Comment

Working...
                              X