Clear All

• 2009.03.08 - Beat Kitchen - Chicago Thrash Ensemble & the Nix

Yeah, us & the Nix. I think that's it.

Beat Kitchen
    9PM, $8?
    Sunday night!

oh. my. god.

the nix.

for those of you that care, this will be my last show with CTE. for those of you that dont, youre probably already ignoring this.

Comment

haha

Comment

i recently read some nice words on aquarious about cte.

i think we played together for your first show?

either way, i'll be at the last.
        ...on weed

Comment

It's just Eric's last show. We have a new singer!

Comment

"We pretty much have a standing order for anything that PlusTapes releases. Much like Mississippi, PlusTapes has become the sort of label folks collect, which as we've mentioned before is pretty remarkable for a label so young. But so far, almost every release we've gotten from PlusTapes has flown out of here. And like Mississippi, they've also decided to dabble in more contemporary sounds, along with their ambitious reissue campaigns. Supporting their local scene, while paying homage to the past. Such is the case with these two latest releases, both limited to 100 copies, and we got less than 20 of each.
            PlusTapes really couldn't get more eclectic. Indonesian pop, surf music from Singapore, dramatic cabaret folk from former industrial icons, Peruvian garage rock, and now thrash metal from Chicago. Hell yeah!
            The appropriately named Chicago Thrash Ensemble are a furious thrashing four piece hell bent on wreaking utter musical havoc, blazing riffage, furious drumming, lightning speed tempos, raspy glass gargling vocals, some little bits of shred here and there. All recorded super raw and lo-fi and in-the-red like some lost eighties demo, what more do you need to know. How about it, the tape is blood splattered (okay, maybe it's red paint, but still!), the covers feature a weird hand drawn heavy metal kid binder beast, with the band's name in the mouth, and the evil eyes glowing red, thanks to an extra set of red eyes pasted on to the plastic case. Oh and they totally shred, it's hard to tell if these guys are true metalheads, or indie kids getting their thrash ya ya's out, but it hardly matters, it's heavy, thrashy, with plenty of nods to Slayer of course, with some wannabe "Raining Blood" and "Angel Of Death" moments, what's not to love? These guys probably destroy live, Chicago folks should definitely check them out. The rest of us will just have to make do with this little plasticky bit of old school thrash, and enjoy the vio-lence vicariously!

LIMITED TO 100 COPIES. We have less than 20. Cool hand drawn covers, lots of beasts and creatures, glowing red eyes pasted onto the tape case, the tapes themselves 'blood' splattered, each one hand numbered."

Comment

Originally posted by brendan View Post
              i recently read some nice words on aquarious about cte.

i think we played together for your first show?

either way, i'll be at the last.
              Yeah it was that show where you forgot the reverb pedal!
              and some other things

Comment

Originally posted by hoffa View Post
                It's just Eric's last show. We have a new singer!
                who's the new singer?

Comment

Jim Dunn.

Comment

^ lol are you serious?
                    ...on weed

Comment

Yes.

Comment

was this guy in other bands...like ones I might know?

Comment

crazy. i didn't take jimmy for a thrash dude. i think his voice would be great for a thrash band tho
                          ...on weed

Comment

He especially likes our moshier parts, haha!

Comment

He was in the Undesirables and the Blonde Alibi.

Comment

Working...
                              X