Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008.08.27 - Empty Bottle - Allá, Tirra Verra, Willis P. Jenkins [food coop benefit]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008.08.27 - Empty Bottle - Allá, Tirra Verra, Willis P. Jenkins [food coop benefit]

Allá
    Tirra Lirra
    Willis P Jenkins

If you're not doing anything next Wednesday, come on out and help us raise funds for the Dill Pickle Food Coop, a cooperatively owned natural foods grocery that we're trying to open in Logan Square.
    The idea of a guilty pleasure has always seemed really silly to me.
    -Andrew WK

i am in love with this idea. just the other night i was having a conversation about how there are no co-ops in the citaaaaay. holla.

Comment

*bump*

this is tonight.

the reader thinks you should go too.
      -Andrew WK

Comment

Allá is awesome.
        "I mean, I got scruples with genocide, but get a few beers in me, and hey, who knows..." -Wendell

////Running Downhill

Comment

The Reader seems to simply be stating that it is occurring, not that I should go. I need more persuasive journalism.

Actually, I don't. I have a date tonight that involves potent margaritas and John Wayne movies. But for the record, if I didn't, I might go, because Allá sounds interesting. However, that Willis P. Jenkins sounds like he might be a bit obnoxious to my particular aesthetic sensibilities.

Also, it's at 8:30, which means I would only be able to stay for like 2 hours at the most before I had to be back in bed.

But then again, I can sometimes function on very little sleep. I remember one time I stayed up on a work night watching like five episodes of Gilmore Girls, and then the next day, I was totally fine on 3.5 hours of sleep.

But then again, if I went, there's a good chance I would have to leave before Allá even started.

And then there's that Willis P. Jenkins thing.

What was I talking about again?

Anyways, rock on.
          Finish the book, George.

Comment

From the Chicago Reader in June:

A Mexican Mutantes?
            After seven years and $40,000, the Ledezma brothers unveil a masterpiece of Mexican-American psych pop.

If there is a Latino-indie revolution brewing in this country (and I’m really rooting for one), Allá belongs in the vanguard. Martinez’s vocals nail the combination of romanticism, ennui, and gutsiness that women in Ibero-American musical traditions have been perfecting for centuries, and the brothers have an almost eerie ability to balance cerebral experimentation (tricky meters that still groove, songs that dissolve into odd ambient drones) with structures and gestures lifted from Mexican folk and American pop. Any Os Mutantes comparisons are well deserved—both groups get real far-out but still come off tropical-drink breezy—but Allá’s palette might be even broader, including bits of everything from Krautrock to hip-hop.
            "I mean, I got scruples with genocide, but get a few beers in me, and hey, who knows..." -Wendell

////Running Downhill

Comment

From the Chicago Reader right now:

Allá and others play a fund-raiser for the Dill Pickle Food Co-op, a Logan Square community-owned grocery store slated to open next spring, at the Empty Bottle.
              Finish the book, George.

Comment

so it turns out that there are more "goings on" in the city tonight than the four listed on the reader front page. the implication is that they think these are noteworthy in some way.

i didn't actually have to explain that your grumpy ass, did i?
                -Andrew WK

Comment

Dude, the front page also features this:

If a man has a sex change can he compete in the Olympics as a woman?
                  Noteworthy!
                  Finish the book, George.

Comment

[nevermind]
                    Last edited by gsprog; 08-27-2008, 11:50 AM. Reason: buhleted
                    -Andrew WK

Comment

google search: alla + chicago reader

////Running Downhill

Comment

Off topic, how was the show/turnout, Gajus?
                        Betcha wanna come home with me and check out my basement!

Comment

show was good, turnout was ok for a wednesday night, but nothing to get too excited about
                          -Andrew WK

Comment

Working...
                          X