7/17/2010 - THE GATE and LOCRIAN (sorta) @ Facets Multimedia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/17/2010 - THE GATE and LOCRIAN (sorta) @ Facets Multimedia

Open the Gate: Heavy Metal as a Gateway to Ritual and the Satanic Panic in The Gate

Midnight screening of The Gate, with introduction by Terrence Hannum (Locrian, paintings). Only $5.

The Gate
    Tibor Takacs, Canada/USA, 1987, 85 mins.

All hell breaks loose-literally-when two teens accidentally open a gateway to Hell with the power of Heavy Metal in this classic from the '80s starring a young Stephen Dorff! Artist Terence Hannum will look at the Satanic Panic of the 1980s surrounding heavy metal music and how it was scapegoated (sometimes willingly) by religious organizations and the PMRC. He will also discuss framing music as a conjurer of sometimes negative forces and heavy metal as a medium for reconnecting us to rituals in a society thought to be divorced from it.

http://www.facets.org/pages/nightschool.php#thegate

"One time, Brian brought a parade of juggalos to the Sportsplex like the Pied Piper" -Cosmos
    "Smallen up that ballsack you web-cocked fuck" -Cary

Fuck my shit, I've got a bday party to go to.

Brian, please inform me of more awesome stuff at Facets when it comes up, thanks!

Though future warning, I think I'm going to be at the Night School "Rubin and Ed" screening since an acquaintance/DePaul Prof is lecturing (Sharon Mooney). And she's sweet. So yeah, August 14.
    "I mean, I got scruples with genocide, but get a few beers in me, and hey, who knows..." -Wendell

////Running Downhill

Comment

Will do. When the world's of cult cinephilia and metal meet, I spread the word.

The night school talks/screenings are a good time, especially the dozy, surreal 2:30am Q&A part. "Deleuze said your thesis is bullshit!"
      "One time, Brian brought a parade of juggalos to the Sportsplex like the Pied Piper" -Cosmos
      "Smallen up that ballsack you web-cocked fuck" -Cary

Comment

Working...
      X